Avatar

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tool 11

One of my new favorite tools is Manipula Math.  I like the short applets that students can use to discover conjectures in Geometry.  I plan to use this site as a station where students will work the applet, write a conjecture and then compare them with their peers.  Another favorite tool is Poll Everywhere.  I intend to use this to quickly assess knowledge or take surveys of the class.

In the past, I have been a little hesitant to incorporate technology in my classroom.  I know see that many of these tools are a lot easier to implement than I originally thought.  Since I use stations quite a bit, I now envision those stations being mixed with technology.  I won't have to change anything physically about my classroom.  My room is conveniently set up for stations.  I will of course have to establish a few more procedures for how to handle the technology, but I know my students consistently display the maturity to handle this.

The most unexpected thing about his program for me was how easy the tools are to use.  I also know that my students have quite a bit of experience with these tools as well and are always willing to help me become more comfortable and assist their peers.  I'm looking forward to acquiring this new technology and transforming my classroom into a 21st century learning environment!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't spent a great deal of time at Manipula Math. Glad you like it. What about Mangahigh? Do you and your students use/play that at all? I would think that it would be a great tool for you.

    Yes, it is amazing how far the web has come and how user friendly it is! Glad you're done! Keeping learning through your PLN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing the 11 Tools! I wish I could get the devices to you right now so you could begin your journey with your kiddos now that it is all fresh on your mind!

    ReplyDelete